Senior Cloud Engineer
- Job reference no: VN10619
- Job type: Permanent
- Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
To provide technical leadership upon all matters cloud with primary focus on Azure, to optimise the performance of the SThree cloud infrastructure estate, including the adoption of tools techniques and processes (with an emphasis on automation), transformation of traditional infrastructure services into cloud native PAAS, maintain high levels of security and cloud governance, build of development\staging environments, ensuring all cloud deployments follow best practices and well architected frameworks and providing technical support and guidance to project teams.
The Senior Cloud Engineer is responsible for the planning, installation, maintenance and acceptance of new and updated cloud infrastructure components and services through to decommissioning.
The role aligns service expectations, security requirements and other quality standards, ensuring that operational procedures and documentation are fit for purpose and kept up to date and that operational issues are identified, recorded, monitored, resolved, and reported upon.
* Develops strategies and architectural guidance for managing the cloud infrastructure, providing technical leadership to optimise the performance and cost base of the cloud infrastructure.
* Ensures that operational issues are identified, recorded, monitored, and resolved. Provides appropriate status and other reports to specialists, users, and managers.
* Manages compliance with regulatory and security requirements.
* Designs and develops operational standards and procedures for cloud infrastructure management, aligning all operations procedures to service expectations and other quality standards.
* Ensures that the policies, operational procedures, standards, and documentation are regularly reviewed, fit for purpose, kept up to date and correctly implemented.
* Oversees the planning, installation, maintenance and acceptance of new and updated infrastructure components and infrastructure-based services. Defines safety and security procedures to be followed, and delegates tasks at the appropriate level.
* Reviews incidents and breaches of service level agreements. Reports on findings and initiates improvement actions.
* Investigates and manages the adoption of tools, techniques, and processes (including automation) for the management of systems and services.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- Azure subject matter expert with strong knowledge of AWS and other cloud services.
- Strong system administration (Windows, Linux/Unix, SQL)
- In depth understanding of cloud security best practices.
- Transformation of cloud services PAAS, SAAS, IAAS
- Hands on experiences building and deploy services using container services, Azure Kubernetes (AKS), Docker, Azure Application Gateways, Azure Firewall, Load Balancers,
- Extensive experience with ARM templates and other configurable items to enable automation.
- Experience of automation tooling deployment such as Terraform, CHEF, Puppet etc
- Familiarity of DevOPS CI\CD pipelines
- Familiarity with deployment techniques (and tools) in a distributed environment.
- Experienced in monitoring techniques in a dynamic environment.
- Design of self-healing and fault-tolerant services.
- Understanding of stateless and loosely coupled distributed applications.
- Understanding of relational and non-relational databases.
- Familiarity with messaging and queuing services.
- Experienced with Infrastructure as Code: design and security, configuration management, integration, deployment, performance monitoring and tuning, automation of infrastructure.
- Strong scripting skillset, with a working knowledge of one or more programming languages is desirable (C#, Java, PHP, Ruby, Python, PowerShell etc.).
- Multi-tier architectures: load balancing, app services, application gateways, web servers, application servers, databases, and cloud networking.
SThree are committed to ensuring equal opportunities, fairness of treatment, dignity, work-life balance and the elimination of all forms of discrimination in the workplace for all staff and job applicants.